From: Chris Hostetter [mailto:hossman_luc...@fucit.org]
Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2013 4:40 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: new field type - enum field

: Doable at Lucene level by any chance?

Given how well the Trie fields compress (ByteField and ShortField have been
deprecated in favor of TrieIntField for this reason) it probably just makes
sense to treat it as a numeric at the Lucene level.

: > If there's positive feedback, I'll open an issue with a patch for the
functionality.

I've typically dealt with this sort of thing at the client layer using a simple
numeric field in Solr, or used an UpdateProcessor to convert the
String->numeric mapping when indexing & used clinet logic of a
DocTransformer to handle the stored value at query time -- but having a built
in FieldType that handles that for you automatically (and helps ensure the
indexed values conform to the enum) would certainly be cool if you'd like to
contribute it.

-Hoss

Email secured by Check Point