Hello,

Please find below

> Let me just explain better what I found when I dug inside solr: documents
> (results of the query) are loaded before they are passed into a writer - so
> the writers are expecting to encounter the solr documents, but these
> documents were loaded by one of the components before rendering them - so
> it is kinda 'hard-coded'.

there is the code
https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/trunk/solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/handler/component/QueryComponent.java#L445which
pulls documents into document's cache
to achieve your goal you can try to remove documents cache, or disable lazy
fields loading.

> But if solr was NOT loading these docs before
> passing them to a writer, writer can load them instead (hence lazy loading,
> but the difference is in numbers - it could deal with hundreds of thousands
> of docs, instead of few thousands now).

anyway, even if writer pulls docs one by one, it doesn't allow to stream a
billion of them. Solr writes out DocList, which is really problematic even
in deep-paging scenarios.

--
Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev