On Fri, 2013-09-13 at 17:32 +0200, Shawn Heisey wrote:
> Put your OS and Solr itself on regular disks in RAID1 and your Solr data
> on the SSD.  Due to the eventual decay caused by writes, SSD will
> eventually die, so be ready for SSD failures to take out shard replicas.

One of the very useful properties of wear-levelling on SSD's is the wear
status of the drive can be queried. When the drive nears its EOL,
replace it.

As Lucene mainly uses bulk writes when updating the index, I will add
that the chances of wearing out a SSD by using it primarily for
Lucene/Solr is pretty hard to do, unless one constructs a pathological
setup.

Your failure argument is thus really a claim that SSDs are not reliable
technology. That is a fair argument as there has been some really rotten
apples among the offerings. This is coupled with the fact that is is
still a very rapidly changing technology, which makes it hard to pick an
older proven drive that is not markedly surpassed by the bleeding edge.

> So far I'm not aware of any RAID solutions that offer TRIM support,
> and without TRIM support, an SSD eventually has performance problems.

Search speed is not affected as "only" write performance suffers without
trim, but index update speed will be affected. Also, while it is
possible to get TRIM in RAID, there is currently only a single hardware
option:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6161/intel-brings-trim-to-raid0-ssd-arrays-on-7series-motherboards-we-test-it

Regards,
- Toke Eskildsen, State and University Library, Denmark