On 9/24/2013 5:51 AM, adfel70 wrote:
My conclusion is that soft commit always flushes the data, but because of
the implementation of NRTCachingDirectoryFactory, the data will be written
to the disk when its getting too big.

The NRTCachingDirectoryFactory (which creates NRTCachingDirectory instances) used by default in newer Solr versions has default settings for some of its parameters that show up in the solr log:

maxCacheMB=48.0 maxMergeSizeMB=4.0

The constructor javadocs for NRTCachingDirectory show what circumstances will cause the directory to use RAM instead of flushing to disk:

http://lucene.apache.org/core/4_4_0/core/org/apache/lucene/store/NRTCachingDirectory.html#NRTCachingDirectory%28org.apache.lucene.store.Directory,%20double,%20double%29

"We will cache a newly created output if 1) it's a flush or a merge and the estimated size of the merged segment is <= maxMergeSizeMB, and 2) the total cached bytes is <= maxCachedMB"

Thanks,
Shawn