bq:  If so, using soft commit without calling hard commit could cause OOM

no. Aside from anything you have configured for auto(hard) commit, the
ramBufferSizeMB in solrconfig.xml will flush the in-memory structures out
to the segments when the size reaches this limit. It won't _close_ the
current segment, so it won't be permanent, but it'll limit memory consumption.

Best,
Erick