You are using "components" instead of "last-components", so you have to all search components, including the QueryComponent. Better to use "last-components".

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message----- From: Shawn Heisey
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2013 4:02 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Solr doesn't return TermVectors

On 9/27/2013 1:35 PM, Jack Krupansky wrote:
You forgot the qt=<custom-request-handler> parameter, such as on the wiki:

http://localhost:8983/solr/select/?&qt=tvrh&q=includes:[* TO *]&fl=id

And you need the custom request handler, such as on the wiki:

<requestHandler name="tvrh"
class="org.apache.solr.handler.component.SearchHandler">
        <lst name="defaults">
                <bool name="tv">true</bool>
        </lst>
        <arr name="last-components">
                <str>tvComponent</str>
        </arr>
</requestHandler>

You can add that "last-components" list to your default handler, if you
wish.

I have more detailed examples in my e-book.

That wiki page probably needs to be updated to have a /tvrh handler
instead of tvrh, and with /tvrh instead of /select.  The 'qt' route is
the old way of doing things, before handleSelect="false" became the
accepted best practice.

In order to help the sender, I've been trying to get this working on my
dev server (running 4.4.0) and keep running into NullPointerException
problems.  I think there's something important that I'm missing about
how to use the component.  Here's an example of what my URL and request
handler are using:

http://server:port/solr/core/tv?q=id:someId&tv.fl=catchall

<requestHandler name="/tv" class="solr.SearchHandler" startup="lazy">
  <lst name="defaults">
    <bool name="tv">true</bool>
  </lst>
  <arr name="components">
    <str>tvComponent</str>
  </arr>
</requestHandler>

java.lang.NullPointerException at
org.apache.solr.handler.component.TermVectorComponent.process(TermVectorComponent.java:251)

Thanks,
Shawn