bq: is there an upper limit of amount of solr processes per machine,

No, assuming they're all in separate JVMs. I've see reports, though,
that increasing the number of JVMs past the number of CPU
cores gets into "iffy" territory.

And, depending on your disk storage they may all be contending for
disk access.

FWIW,
Erick