bq: ...in the sense that there's only one canonical copy.

Agreed, and as you say that copy is kept in ZooKeeper.....

And I pretty much guarantee that the internal solrconfig object
is NOT shared. I doubt the schema object is shared, but it seems
like it could be with some work.

But the savings potential here is rather small unless you have a
large number of cores. The LotsOfCores option is really, at this
point, orthogonal to SolrCloud, I don't think (and we have some
anecdotal evidence) that they don't play nice together....

Erick