Ok, so I think I was confusing the terminology (still in a 3.X mindset I
guess.)

>From the Cloud->Tree, I do see that I have "collections" for what I was
calling "core1", "core2", etc.

So, to redo the above,
Servers: index1, index2, index3
Collections: (on each) coll1, coll2
Collection (core?) on index1: coll1new

Each Collection has 1 shard (too small to make sharding worthwhile).

So should I run something like this:
http://index1:8080/solr/admin/collections?action=CREATEALIAS&name=coll1&collections=col11new

Or will I need coll1new to be on each of the index1, index2 and index3
instances of Solr?

-- Chris