@Michael:

Yep, that's the bit that's addressed by the two patches I referenced. If
you can try this with 4.5 (or the soon to be done 4.5.1), the problem
should go away.

@Chris:

I think you have a different issue. A very quick glance at your stack trace
doesn't really show anything outstanding. There are always a bunch of
threads waiting around for something to do that show up as "blocked". So
I'm pretty puzzled. Are your Solr logs showing anything when you try to
update after this occurs?