Hello all,

Been lurking on the list for awhile.

We are at the end of life for replacing two google mini search appliances used
to index our public web sites. Google is no longer selling the mini appliances
and buying the big appliance is not cost beneficial.

http://search.richmond.edu/

We would run a solr replacement in linux (cents, redhat, similar) with open
Java or Oracle Java.

Background
==========
~130 sites
only ~12,000 pages (at a depth of 3)
probably ~40,000 pages if we go to a depth of 4

We use key matches a lot. In solr terms these are elevated documents
(elevations)

We would code a search query form in php and wrap it into our design
(http://www.richmond.edu)

I have played with and love lucidworks and know that their $ solution works for
our use cases but the cost model is not attractive for such a small collection.

So with solr what are my open source options and what are people's experiences
crawling and indexing web sites with solr + crawler. I understand there is not
a crawler with solr so that would have to be first up to get one working.

We can code in Java, PHP, Python etc. if we have to, but we don't want to write
a crawler if we can avoid it.

thanks in advance for and information.

--
Eric Palmer