On 11/6/2013 1:18 PM, kaustubh147 wrote:
I am attaching a small log file with debug option enabled.. log shows
following process

1. first start of solr cluster
2. create collection "collection1"
3. shutdown cluster
4. start cluster again

error is in only the 4th step...and it is coming after solr is trying to
close data directory for some reason... class name is
org.apache.solr.core.CachingDirectoryFactory..

Thanks,
Kaustubh

solr_logs_for_post.txt
<http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/file/n4099641/solr_logs_for_post.txt>

Here's a relevant excerpt from that log:

Caused by: org.apache.lucene.store.LockObtainFailedException: Lock obtain timed out: NativeFSLock@/mnt/emc/app_name/data-prod-refresh/SolrCloud/SolrHome3/solr/collection1/data/index/write.lock
    at org.apache.lucene.store.Lock.obtain(Lock.java:84)
    at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.<init>(IndexWriter.java:673)
at org.apache.solr.update.SolrIndexWriter.<init>(SolrIndexWriter.java:77) at org.apache.solr.update.SolrIndexWriter.create(SolrIndexWriter.java:64) at org.apache.solr.update.DefaultSolrCoreState.createMainIndexWriter(DefaultSolrCoreState.java:267) at org.apache.solr.update.DefaultSolrCoreState.getIndexWriter(DefaultSolrCoreState.java:110)
    at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.openNewSearcher(SolrCore.java:1440)
    ... 15 more

In a nutshell, it's trying to create the "write.lock" file in your index directory and obtain a lock on it. Either the file already exists from the previous Solr start, or the lock is failing.

You may need to change your lock type. Currently it's "native" but you might need "simple" or "none" instead, for NFS to work properly.

You might also need to upgrade to NFSv4, which has much better locking capability than earlier versions. Unfortunately it also tends to have mounting problems, leading people to downgrade the version to 3 on their servers.

There might be network problems, or bugs in your NFS server or NFS client code, etc. The path suggests that the storage is an EMC device. Check with them for possible bugs with their NFS implementation - you might need newer software/firmware for the device. NIC firmware on your server is another possible problem point.

Running with your index on NFS is problematic. I have never personally tried it, but I see messages here and on IRC about problems with it. I believe there are some people who do it successfully, perhaps someone who's faced these problems and beat them could offer insight.

Thanks,
Shawn