Hello all,

I am trying to set up a SolrCloud deployment consisting of 5 boxes each of
which is running Solr under jetty.  A zookeeper ensemble is running separately
on 3 of the boxes.

Each Solr instance has 2 cores, one of which is sharded across the five boxes
and the other not sharded at all because it is a much smaller index.  numShards
is set to 5 in the command to start jetty, -DnumShards=5.

It turns out that getting this configuration to work is not as easy as I had
hoped.  According to JIRA SOLR-3186, "If you are bootstrapping a multi-core
setup, you currently have to settle for the same
numShards for every core."  Unfortunately that JIRA was closed without any
implementation.

Is this limitation still in effect?  Does the new core discovery mode offer
anything in this regard?

Is there any way at all to deploy two cores with different numShards?

How hard would it be to implement this?  Is it compatible with the architecture
of Solr 5?

Thanks,
Jim Beale

The information contained in this email message, including any attachments, is
intended solely for use by the individual or entity named above and may be
confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you must not read, use, disclose, distribute or copy
any part of this communication. If you have received this communication in
error, please immediately notify me by email and destroy the original message,
including any attachments. Thank you.