On 11/19/2013 10:18 PM, Tirthankar Chatterjee wrote:
> I have a site that I crawl and host the index. The web site has changes every
> month which requires it to re-crawl. Now there is a new SOLR index that is
> created. How effectively can I swap the previous one with the new one with
> minimal downtime for search.
>
> We have tried swapping the core but once due to any reason tomcat is
> restarted the temp core data is gone after the restart. Is there a way we
> dont lose the new index after the swap.

The reply you received from Otis assumes that you're using SolrCloud.  I
looked back at previous messages that you have sent to the list, where
you were using version 3.6, but that was over a year ago, so I don't
know whether you've upgraded to 4.x yet, and I don't know if you've gone
with SolrCloud.

If you are not using SolrCloud, then you can do core swapping, and the
next paragraph will apply.  If you are using SolrCloud, then you can't;
you must use collection aliasing.

Do you have persistent set to true in your solr.xml?  This is required
for core swapping to work properly through restarts.

Thanks,
Shawn