: So, this query does just what I want, but it's typically 3 times slower
: than the edismax query  without the functions:

that's because the scale() function is inhernetly slow (it has to
compute the min & max value for every document in order to know how to
scale them)

what you are seeing is the price you have to pay to get that query with a
"normalized" 0-1 value.

(you might be able to save a little bit of time by eliminating that
no-Op multiply by 1: "product(query($qq),1)" ... but i doubt you'll even
notice much of a chnage given that scale function.

: Is there any way to speed this up? Would writing a custom function query
: that compiled all the function queries together be any faster?

If you can find a faster implementation for scale() then by all means let
us konw, and we can fold it back into Solr.

-Hoss