Hi Steve,

Good luck. I would start from doing online tutorial if you haven't already
(do it on Windows) and then reading a book. There are several on the
market, including my own for the beginners (
http://blog.outerthoughts.com/2013/06/my-book-on-solr-is-now-published/ ).

For SharePoint, I would look at http://manifoldcf.apache.org/en_US/ , they
seem to be covering that use case specifically and sending information to
Solr.

For more general case, I would look at SolrNet (
https://github.com/mausch/SolrNet/blob/master/Documentation/README.md ). To
use Solr 4 with SorlNet, you would need to get the latest build or build it
yourself from source, it is not terribly complicated.

Tika, is a separate Apache project bundled with Solr and is used to parse
binary files (e.g. PDFs, MSWord, etc) and extract whatever is possible,
usually structured metadata and some sort of internal text.

For the interface, there is a couple of options, though most people are
rolling their own. The main reason is because you should NOT expose Solr
directly to the web (not secure), so there is a need for Solr middleware.
Solr middleware is usually custom with project-specific enhancements, etc.
But you could have a look at Hue for internal/intermediate usage. Hue is
for Hadoop ecosystem, but does include Solr support too:
http://gethue.tumblr.com/tagged/search

The most important point to remember when you are understanding Solr is
that it is there for _search_. You shape your data to match that purpose.
If that breaks relationships and duplicates data in Solr, that's fine. You
still have your primary data safe in relational/document storage.

Regards,
   Alex.

- Time is the quality of nature that keeps events from happening all at
once. Lately, it doesn't seem to be working.  (Anonymous  - via GTD book)