Thanks for the reply Alex...
in fact I am using your book!

the book seems like a good tutorial ...

My bitnami solr instance however already includes Solr (running in
background) and a directory structure :

root
--opt
----bitnami
------apache-solr
--------solr
----------collection1

I assume that the apache-solr directory is the same as the universal
"example" directory mentioned in many tutorials. If I follow your book I
create a new directory under apache-solr called "SOLR-INDEXING" with the
collection1/conf/ and .xml files per your instruction.

but now i have two instances running and somehow I need to point solr from
the solr/collection1 core to the SOLR-INDEXING/collection1   core

I would think this could be done on the Solr Admin page but can't see how.
If i try and restart the jetty with "java -Dsolr.solr.home=SOLR-INDEXING
-jar start.jar "   it runs and does some install but I think it does not
shut down the prior one first. In fact once i run that i lose all my solr
and have to reinstall the VMWARE snapshot.

Any guidance would be useful so I can continue with your book.
Thanks
steve