Hi Shawn,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I did notice the exception you pointed out and
had some thoughts about it maybe being the client library I'm using to
connect to Solr (C# SolrNet) disconnecting too early, but that doesn't
explain it eventually running out of memory altogether.  A large index
shouldn't cause Solr to run out of memory, since it would just go to disk on
queries to process requests instead of holding the entire index in memory.

I'm also not sure that the index size is the case, because I have another
SolrCloud instance running where I saw this behaviour at ~20 million, rather
than 2 million documents (same type of documents, so much larger on disk).
The machines these are running on are identical Amazon EC2 instances as
well, so that rules out the larger index succeeding for longer due to better
hardware.