On Jan 31, 2014, at 1:56 PM, Greg Walters <greg.walt...@answers.com> wrote:

> I'm assuming you mean CloudSolrServer here. If I'm wrong please ignore my
> response.
>
>> -updatesToLeaders
>
> Only send documents to shard leaders while indexing. This saves cross-talk
> between slaves and leaders which results in more efficient document routing.

Right, but recently this has less of an affect because CloudSolrServer can now
hash documents and directly send them to the right place. This option has
become more historical. Just make sure you set the correct id field on the
CloudSolrServer instance for this hashing to work (I think it defaults to “id”).

>> shutdownLBHttpSolrServer
>
> CloudSolrServer uses a LBHttpSolrServer behind the scenes to distribute
> requests (that aren't updates directly to leaders). Where did you find this?
> I don't see this in the javadoc anywhere but it is a boolean in the
> CloudSolrServer class. It looks like when you create a new CloudSolrServer
> and pass it your own LBHttpSolrServer the boolean gets set to false and the
> CloudSolrServer won't shut down the LBHttpSolrServer when it gets shut down.
>
>> parellelUpdates
>
> The javadoc's done have any description for this one but I checked out the
> code for CloudSolrServer and if parallelUpdates it looks like it executes
> update statements to multiple shards at the same time.

Right, we should def add some javadoc, but this sends updates to shards in
parallel rather than with a single thread. Can really increase update speed.
Still not as powerful as using CloudSolrServer from multiple threads, but a
nice improvement non the less.

- Mark

http://about.me/markrmiller