I'd start from doing Solr tutorial. It will explain a lot of things.
But in summary, you can send data to Solr (best option) or you can
pull it using DataImportHandler. Take your pick, do the tutorial,
maybe read some books. Then come back with specific questions of where
you started.

Regards,
   Alex.
at once. Lately, it doesn't seem to be working.  (Anonymous  - via GTD
book)