From: Shawn Heisey [mailto:s...@elyograg.org]
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2014 12:48 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: commit=false in Solr update URL

On 3/28/2014 10:22 AM, Joshi, Shital wrote:
> What happens when we use commit=false in Solr update URL?
> http://$solr_url/solr/$solr_core/update/csv?commit=false&separator=|&trim=true&skipLines=2&_shard_=$shardid
>

> 1.      Does it invalidate all caches? We really need to know this.
>
> 2.      Nothing happens to existing searcher, correct?
>
> 3.      All data gets written to translog, correct?

1) No.  A commit with openSearcher=true is required to invalidate caches.
1a) The default for openSearcher is true.

2) Correct.  See #1.

3) If the transaction log is enabled, everything gets written to it,
regardless of commit parameters and auto settings.  A hard commit (with
any openSearcher value) will close the current transaction log and start
a new one.

It's my understanding that the default setting for the commit parameter
is false unless you change it with the config or a request parameter.

Thanks,
Shawn