Thanks for responding, Wolfgang.

Changing to LUCENE_43:

IndexWriterConfig writerConfig = new IndexWriterConfig(Version.LUCENE_43,
null);

didn't affect on the index format version, because, I believe, if the
format of the index to merge has been of higher version (4.1 in this case),
it will merge to the same and not lower version (4.0). But format version
certainly could be read from the solrconfig, you are right.

Dmitry