Thanks! So solr 4.7 does not seem to respect the luceneMatchVersion on the
binary (index) level. Or perhaps, I misunderstand the meaning of the
luceneMatchVersion.

This is what I see when loading index from hdfs via luke and launching the
Index Checker tool:

[clip]
Segments file=segments_2 numSegments=1 version=4.7 format=
userData={commitTimeMSec=1397157712399}
  1 of 1: name=_0 docCount=82
    codec=Lucene46
    compound=false
    numFiles=10
    size (MB)=0.027
    diagnostics = {timestamp=1397157712512, os=Linux,
os.version=3.2.0-61-generic, source=flush, lucene.version=4.7.0 1570806 -
simon - 2014-02-22 08:25:23, os.arch=amd64, java.version=1.7.0_51,
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation}
    no deletions
    test: open reader.........OK
    test: fields..............OK [11 fields]
    test: field norms.........OK [0 fields]
    test: terms, freq, prox...OK [1161 terms; 2949 terms/docs pairs; 2768
tokens]
    test: stored fields.......OK [902 total field count; avg 11 fields per
doc]
    test: term vectors........OK [0 total vector count; avg 0 term/freq
vector fields per doc]
    test: docvalues...........OK [1 docvalues fields; 0 BINARY; 0 NUMERIC;
1 SORTED; 0 SORTED_SET]

No problems were detected with this index.
[/clip]

I wonder whether there is any possibility of defining the version of the
codec in solr config/schema.

Dmitry