On 4/25/2014 10:54 AM, zzT wrote:
So, this is where SolrCloud is different from legacy master/slave
configuration? I mean master/slave sends segments to the slaves using e.g.
rsync while SolrCloud forwards the indexing request to replicas where it's
processed "locally" on each replica, right?

That's correct.  Each replica indexes each new document independently.

There is one detail about SolrCloud that can be very confusing: The /replication handler must be defined in solrconfig.xml for SolrCloud to function properly. This is because when an index *recovery* is required, it will use the old-style replication to copy the index from the leader ... which will usually copy the entire index.

Related tangent: I think that SolrCloud should use a dedicated and invisible handler for index recovery rather than an explictly defined handler named "/replication". One possible name for this handler is "/cloudrecovery". SOLR-3990 should be fixed before that gets done.

Thanks,
Shawn