Well, you might explain to management that this isn't what Solr is
built to do.

12M records is actually quite small by Solr standards. I'd recommend
de-normalizing and demonstrating a working solution that uses Solr
as it's intended rather than how senior management wishes it were.
It'll be a lot easier/faster/more scalable I'd guess. and with 12M records,
it will very likely fit on commodity hardware.

I'm afraid I can't really help you otherwise..

Best
Erick