I suppose you could, but I _really_ question whether it's a wise
investment in time. Personally I'd treat them as two different
collections and have the app layer fire off two queries and do the
aggregation (this is a variant of "federated search" I think). This
removes your issue with having the cores "do extra work"....

Additionally, I'd really prove out that the "extra work" is actually a
measurable performance issue before worrying about this, it smells
like premature optimization.

FWIW,
Erick