I agree with Eric that this is premature unless you can show that it makes
a difference.

Firstly why are you splitting the data into multiple time tiers (one
recent, and one all) and then waiting to merge results from all of them?
Time tiering is useful when you can do the search separately on both and
then pick the one which comes back with full results first (usually will be
the recent one but it might not have as many results as you want).

The way you are trying to aggregate the data is sharding, where one of the
cores doesn't have the data the other one has. So you could just 'optimize'
by not having the data present in the historical collection. We have
support for custom sharding keys now in Solr, haven't used it personally
but that might be worth a shot..