On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 10:30 AM, Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>wrote:

> If we manage to extend the "lazy core" loading from stand-alone to
> "lazy collection" loading in SolrCloud would that satisfy the
> use-case? It still doesn't allow manual unloading of the collection,
> but the large collection would "age out" if it was truly not used all
> that much. That said, I don't know if there's active work in this
> direction right now.

This is a nice option to have but having the ability to manually load and
unload a collection is still needed. For example, if you're doing analytics
work and storing a day's data in a collection, you still want to be able to
access day 32 and day 64 even if you keep 30 days of data loaded in memory.

I also think having a manual option would allow people more flexibility in
how they manage the number of collections they keep loaded.