Toke Eskildsen [t...@statsbiblioteket.dk] wrote:

[Toke: SSDs with 2.7TB of index on a 256GB machine]

> tl;dr: for small result sets (< 1M hits) on unwarmed searches with
> simple queries, response time is below 100ms. If we enable faceting with
> plain Solr, this jumps to about 1 second.

> I did a top on the machine and it says that 50GB is currently used for
> caching, so an 80GB (and probably less) machine would work fine for our
> 2.7TB index.

So we actually tried this: 3.6TB (4 shards) and 80GB of RAM, leaving a little
less than 40GB for caching: 40GB / 3,600GB ~= 1% of the index size.

This performed quite well, with faceting times still around 1 second and
non-faceted search a lot lower. There's a writeup at
http://sbdevel.wordpress.com/2014/06/17/terabyte-index-search-and-faceting-with-solr/

- Toke Eskildsen, State and University Library, Denmark