Can you please tell me whihc solr version you have tried with? I tried
giving

<lockType>${solr.lock.type:none}</lockType> in 2 solr instances and now it
is working. I am not getting the write lock exception when starting the
second instance.

But my scenario is that both solr instances would write to the common
directory ( but not both simultaneously for sure). Is there any drawback of
using  "noLock"

Please advice.

Thanks,
Prasi