bq: But my scenario is that both solr instances would write to the common
directory

Do NOT do this. Don't even try. I guarantee Bad Things Will Happen.

Why do you want to do this? To save disk space? Accomplish NRT
searching on multiple machines?

Please define the problem you're trying to solve and why existing supported
ways of using Solr wouldn't work for you, e.g. SolrCloud or master/slave
setups before asking for a specific solution, as this sounds very much like an
XY problem.

Best,
Erick