Hi guys,

this is really strange. On my system (Z31/WN) with
Karmic,sony-laptop-zseries-0.9np1 and Grub2, I have used only INTEL
graphics so far. After deciding to test the instructions on Raphael's
blog (very nice, thanks for all the efforts!) I found some bits of
information which may be helpful here.

I am using the latest karmic 2.6.31.11 kernel right now because
today's 2.6.31.12 update does not boot. My older kernel still contains
Norberts 0.9np1 module.

First, on my systems the Speed/Stamina LEDs stopped working too,
initially. This was after applying all the changes mentioned in
Raphael's instruction. After some backtracking I was able to fix the
Grub2 problem by tweaking /etc/default/grub like this:

  (...)
  GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor"
  GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=acpi_osi='"!Windows 2006"'
  (...)

The update-grub command successfully generates the /boot/grub/grub.cfg
file which contains menu entries that have config lines such as this
one:

linux   /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-11-generic
root=UUID=e540f235-d66b-4a46-839d-4fd034fdec67 ro acpi_osi="!Windows
2006"  quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor

The system boot okay. But here comes the kicker: The speed/stamina
LEDs still stay off unless I remove the
/etc/modprobe.d/sony-laptop.conf file. Without this file (and the
module parameter it contains), the module loads okay, apparently.
/var/log/messages contains:

Oct  8 00:36:11 archangel kernel: [  148.959478] sony-laptop: Sony
Programmable IO Control Driver v0.9np1.
Oct  8 00:36:11 archangel kernel: [  148.959528] sony-laptop: detected
Type3 model

With the current state of the system, the Intel graphics works. But
the switch-x-to script does not:

syslog.1:Oct  8 00:03:00 archangel init: switch-x-to main process
ended, respawning
syslog.1:Oct  8 00:03:00 archangel init: switch-x-to main process
ended, respawning
syslog.1:Oct  8 00:03:00 archangel init: switch-x-to main process
ended, respawning
syslog.1:Oct  8 00:03:00 archangel init: switch-x-to main process
ended, respawning
syslog.1:Oct  8 00:03:00 archangel init: switch-x-to main process
ended, respawning
syslog.1:Oct  8 00:03:00 archangel init: switch-x-to main process
ended, respawning
syslog.1:Oct  8 00:03:00 archangel init: switch-x-to main process
ended, respawning
syslog.1:Oct  8 00:03:00 archangel init: switch-x-to main process
ended, respawning
syslog.1:Oct  8 00:03:00 archangel init: switch-x-to main process
ended, respawning
syslog.1:Oct  8 00:03:00 archangel init: switch-x-to respawning too
fast, stopped

This happens when booting and is probably caused by the strange state
of the system.

Cheers
Mike