-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        FW: [stopnato] S. Ossetia: Study In Western Peacekeeping,
Humanitarianism
Date:   Thu, 21 Aug 2008 08:32:29 +0200
From:   Dragan RAKIC <[&#1045;-&#1055;&#1054;&#1064;&#1058;&#1040;
&#1047;&#1040;&#1064;&#1058;&#1048;&#1035;&#1045;&#1053;&#1040;]>

http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?id=f1698

Focus News Agency (Bulgaria)
August 20, 2008

We, the people of South Ossetia are not separatists:
Inal Pliev
by Denka Katsarska

Inal Pliev, Information Department director with South
Ossetia’s part of the Joint Control Commission For
Conflict’s Regulation in an interview to FOCUS News
Agency.

Inal Pliev is also a deputy chairman of the South
Ossetia’s Community for Friendship with Bulgaria

-I...think that we should not take into consideration
the opinion of all those countries that were supplying
weapons to Georgia during the discussions on South
Ossetia’s status. Those same countries declared
Kosovo’s independence without any regards to Serbia’s
position.
-There are videos and photos that prove the situation.

Georgia’s actions were targeting the total massacre of
Tskhinvali’s residents – no one would have stayed
alive, if Russia did not impede the action plan.
-It is very revealing that the general staff of
Georgia’s Ministry of Defense gave the name ‘Clean
field’ to the operation.
-Everything in South Ossetia that could be ruined was
razed to the ground – the university, the research
center, the editor’s offices of newspapers, printing
offices, the building of the television, 42 nurseries,
13 schools, hundreds of homes, enterprises,
humanitarian and civil sites.
There were sites under International Red Cross and Red
Crescent Movement’s protection, including hospitals,
health centers, emergency stations.
-If our opponents had juridical arguments, they would
not have used violence. Mikhail Saakashvili’s action
from August 8 expressed the real status of South
Ossetia – no one would undertake such actions against
his nation.
-I think that I do not have to repeat the
international law definition for a mass killing of
thousands of ordinary people who belong to a certain
nationality.

FOCUS: Do you accept the EU’s mediation for peace in
the South Caucasus?

Inal Pliev: We have no grounds to believe that the EU
has been interested in the South Caucasus and South
Ossetia.

In many ways EU member states have taken an active
part in providing Georgia’s military equipment during
the last ten years.

The governments of those countries were aware of the
fact that Georgia would use their arms, including
weapons of mass destruction, not for defense – as we
saw the weapons did not defend Georgia – but for
destroying the peaceful population of South Ossetia,
as it happened.

The infinite declarations of the EU representatives
made us realize that the life of South Ossetia’s
people doesn’t mean anything to them.

They did not consider the murder of thousands of
ordinary Ossetian people, but they condemned the
actions that Russia started to save thousands of South
Ossetia’s residents – those who were not killed in the
first hours of Georgia’s aggression.

The EU did not condemn Georgia for the killing of the
peacekeepers who were based in the zone of the
legitimate international mandate; it did not condemn
the actions of the Georgia’s peacekeepers – they were
shooting pointblank the peaceful Ossetian population,
or the people who were their comrades the day before,
in fact.

So, the EU is a power that does not defend justice, it
takes the part of those who are used to killing
peaceful people. I personally reject any kind of EU
participation in the negotiations.

FOCUS: Which are the international organization that
you would admit to take part in the negotiations with
Georgia.

Which one will you prefer among the Organization for
Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE), the EU and
the United Nations?

Inal Pliev: We have already talked about the EU.

The OSCE was incapable of preventing the conflict, as
well.

The OSCE has taken part in the regulation process on
the Georgian conflict in 1993.

There were many respectful people who worked for the
OSCE mission in Georgia at the time, such as the
Bulgarian ambassadors Gancho Ganchev, Bozhidar
Dimitrov, Veselin Nikolov and others.

However, a particular individual is not able to change
anything.

The OSCE mission was monitoring the situation of the
conflict along with military observers from Russia,
Ossetia and Georgia’s peace forces.

Reports were drawn up on the grounds of the monitoring
– the separate violations of every country were put
down in the reports.

The signatures of the observers, peacekeepers and the
OSCE’s representatives were put there.

Despite all the measures, the information about
Georgia’s violations either disappeared or was
presented in a way that it was impossible to define
Georgia’s actions, which were in fact a kind of
violation.

So, Georgia committed these violations again.

The OSCE did not put make firm answer or reaction when
Georgia moved in artillery and military equipment in
the conflict zone.

The leadership of OSCE and the member states received
the information about the real situation in the zone
from Georgia.

Georgia had been preparing long before August 8.

There was pressure put on it for the tragedy’s
prevention. And the other question comes here: Had the
OSCE mission participants absolutely underestimated
the violations in Georgia or not?

That is why I personally do not trust anyone – neither
the OSCE, nor the mission in Georgia.

I think that if the OSCE operation in Georgia
continues, a separate OSCE Mission for South Ossetia
has to be set up too.

The UN has been working in Abkhazia and it has been
behaving much more tolerably compared to the OSCE,
which works in South Ossetia.

The OSCE has never condemned Georgia’s actions and it
has never sincerely confessed that Georgia has
committed many violations.

The UN, operating in Abkhazia, has been passing
resolutions for appealing to Georgia to stop its
abuses and it usually stressed many of Georgia’s
actions that were a kind of violence.

I think that we should not negotiate with Georgia.

Negotiations are for opponents who trust each other.

Normal people do not trust Georgia, as it turned out
to be a country that usually violates any agreement or
contract for its needs.

FOCUS: How does South Ossetia view the outcome of the
conflict? What are its concrete criteria and where
will you table them to discussion? With what
conditions will you negotiate with Georgia?

Inal Pliev: I stand behind the position of Russia’s
president Dmitry Medvedev – I think that only the
people of South Ossetia can define the country’s
future.

And I also think that we should not take into
consideration the opinion of all those countries that
were supplying weapons to Georgia during the
discussions on South Ossetia’s status. Those same
countries declared Kosovo’s independence without any
regards to Serbia’s position.

FOCUS: What are the losses from the war for South
Ossetia? Did someone benefit anything from it?

Inal Pliev: There are about 2,000 victims -
Tskhinvali’s residents. Most of them died in their
houses during the first moments of the attack, without
having time to find protection.

Then, after Georgia’s tanks invaded Tskhinvali,
Georgia’s infantrymen invaded the refuges and shot
many people death.

The exact number of the victims of Georgia’s
occupation is not known but they are in the thousands
for sure.

Georgia’s armed forces killed all of the villages’
residents who did not succeed in finding asylum in the
forests.

I want to stress the situation in the village of
Tsunar that was occupied by the Georgian army.

All the elderly people living in the village were
released, while all the people of reproductive age,
including children and young girls and boys, women and
men, were killed.

On August 8, Mikhail Saakashvili declared that his
people would make a corridor from where ordinary
people would be able to go out from the fire zone.

During all this time, while the information agencies
and TV channels were releasing this information,
Georgia continued the fire attack at the same
intensity as before and actually going out from
buildings was impossible.

Many people tried to escape by running or driving
their cars but Saakashvili’s army killed them.

There were people and children burning down their cars
– that was happening as in Tskhinvali, so in other
settlements from the direction they was trying to
escape and save themselves.

There are videos and photos that prove the situation.

Georgia’s actions were targeting the total massacre of
Tskhinvali’s residents – no one would have stayed
alive, if Russia did not impede the action plan.

It is very revealing that the general staff of
Georgia’s Ministry of Defense gave the name ‘Clean
field’ to the operation.

There are enormous material losses; they are so big
that they are still impossible to be calculated.

However, I do not want to pay attention to them at a
moment when thousands of people are killed in the
cruelest way.

Everything in South Ossetia that could be ruined was
razed to the ground – the university, the research
center, the editor’s offices of newspapers, printing
offices, the building of the television, 42 nurseries,
13 schools, hundreds of homes, enterprises,
humanitarian and civil sites.

There were sites under International Red Cross and Red
Crescent Movement’s protection, including hospitals,
health centers, emergency stations.

There were shootings against hospitals where there
were hundreds of sick people; they used a fusillade
fire system. The Orthodox churches were under fire, as
well. No one will win from the war – neither South
Ossetia, nor Georgia.

FOCUS: [Some] institutions and states do not approve
the separatism. Is South Ossetia likely to change
something from its demands or just to change its
approach to the negotiations with Georgia?

Inal Pliev: South Ossetia is not a separatist
territory. South Ossetia’s claim for independence is
in complete conformity to the international juridical
norms.

We have provided irrefutable documents to South
Ossetia‘s striving for independence.

If our opponents had juridical arguments, they would
not have used violence. Mikhail Saakashvili’s action
from August 8 expressed the real status of South
Ossetia – no one would undertake such actions against
his nation.

I think that I do not have to repeat the international
law definition for a mass killing of thousands of
ordinary people who belong to a certain nationality.

Georgia has just shown what would it do with South
Ossetia’s population if it takes the control on South
Ossetia.

That’s why I want to declare that all the appeals for
Georgia’s territorial integrity are equivalent to
calls for mass murder of thousands of South Ossetia’s
people.

All the honest and fair people around world should to
support South Ossetia in its ambition for separation
from Georgia and its right to be part of a country
where its population wants to live.

As a deputy chairman of South Ossetia’s Community for
Friendship with Bulgaria I would like to witness the
fair actions of Bulgaria’s authorities towards a
nation that has been traditionally borne good feelings
toward Bulgarians, since the time of the Russo-Turkish
War of 1877–1878.

[&#1045;-&#1055;&#1054;&#1064;&#1058;&#1040;
&#1047;&#1040;&#1064;&#1058;&#1048;&#1035;&#1045;&#1053;&#1040;]
<mailto:stopnato-subscribe%40yahoogroups.com>

Archives:

http://lists.topica.com/lists/ANTINATO/read
==============================

------------------------------------

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[&#1045;-&#1055;&#1054;&#1064;&#1058;&#1040;
&#1047;&#1040;&#1064;&#1058;&#1048;&#1035;&#1045;&#1053;&#1040;]
    mailto:[&#1045;-&#1055;&#1054;&#1064;&#1058;&#1040;
&#1047;&#1040;&#1064;&#1058;&#1048;&#1035;&#1045;&#1053;&#1040;]

    [&#1045;-&#1055;&#1054;&#1064;&#1058;&#1040;
&#1047;&#1040;&#1064;&#1058;&#1048;&#1035;&#1045;&#1053;&#1040;]

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Одговори путем е-поште