School Girl Struggles To Sell Firewood To Feed Family And Support Education


An eight year-old girl primary school pupil in Aweil has resorted to
selling of firewood to pay for her education and feed her poor family.


 22 April 2013





Anguech Door Amei in Aweil. About 35 % of children in South Sudan are
engaged in various forms of child labour according to the Ministry of
Labour, Public Service and Human Resource Development. [Abraham Agoth]

By Abraham Agoth

AWEIL, 21 April 2013 [Gurtong] -Anguech Door Amei says she is
depending on firewood for food and as well as paying for her school
materials such as exercise books, writing pens and other necessary
school items.

Being brought up by a single mother who has no education background,
Door said she is always struggling to ensure that she has flour for
her meal.

She outlines that her daily plans are always focused on how to find
food for her family and how to save for small notes of money for
emergency cases.

“I thought of selling firewood on my own because I did not want to go
on street like the children am seeing daily. When I saw my mother was
helpless home, I was encouraged by my neighbour who also sells
firewood to be accompanying her to the forest and at the end of the
day come with some few firewood which I bring to market for
auctioning,” she said adding that “When bought, I rush immediately to
buy small quantity of flour as meal for our home. I do save some
money, a pound to two pounds per month for diseases that rampantly
strike on people.”

About 35 per cent of children in South Sudan are engaged in various
forms of child labour according to the Undersecretary for Labour in
the Ministry of Labour, Public Service and Human Resource Development,
Madam Hellen Achiro Lotara.

Many of the affected children work in the informal sector undertaking
activities such as pushing wheelbarrows, shoe shining, working in
backyard garages and street vending.

A Labour Market Information survey conducted by the International
Labour Organisation (ILO) had revealed that the work undertaken by the
children was often hazardous, requiring them to work long hours,
including nights and exposing them to physical and verbal abuse on the
streets.

Madam Hellen recently said that the government was committed towards
ensuring that children were protected and cited the ratification by
government of the ILO Convention 182 on Elimination of the Worst Forms
of Child Labour and Convention 138 on the Minimum Age for admission to
Employment.

Door says that she makes three to six South Sudanese pounds within a
week that she uses to buy some food stuff.

She travels for a distance of 20 to 30 kilometres weekly to fetch for
firewood with other neighbouring adults whom she accused of
intimidating her of low speed and slowness in firewood collection.

Regardless of irregular attendance in her school, door says she is in
primary three and has been performing brilliantly at the school though
facing tedious home affairs.

She could correctly express herself in English and bow to follow her
education for the improvement of her future.

“I am studying at Buluk primary school. I am in my primary three this
year. Though, I get problem of our home budget constraints which I
fear that may drive me out of school one day, I still say that I am
determined to study well during my age to do any possible abilities
for myself and mother who is being abandoned by my father. I only
trust that education will be a change to the problems my mother and I
are living in,” Door adds.

With the predictions of what she wants to become ahead of her studies,
she assures the public that she will follow education until she
becomes a teacher to help others who are helpless.

 Posted in: Home, Education, Governance

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"South Sudan Info - The Kob" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply via email to