Breaking the silence

By Zechariah Manyok Biar

April 22, 2013 - I have been out of writing for sometimes now, if some
of you might have observed this. I wanted to see if flattery praising
of leaders or tribes was going to make things better. This is because
I was falsely accused of being tribalist earlier this year when I
wrote an article addressing Ateny Wek’s concerns. Not being tribalist,
according to some people, is when one does not point out vices from
any tribe. I do not buy that. I have been criticizing all tribes,
including my own when it killed Kuku children while fighting against
armed Mundari youth in October, 2009.

I believe in the importance of any tribe and its people. Misusing
power against any citizen or a community is something I have never
supported and will never support. It does not matter whether the tribe
misusing power is mine or not.

I criticize leaders as individuals too. Fairness is what I believe as
true means to meaningful unity among our people. Some kind of looking
back could be the starting point of my resumption of writing.

Those who claimed to love unity of our people more than I do have not
lived up to that claim over the last few months. Now I am coming back
to writing because I have observed that what forced me into writing in
the year 2008 is being revived.

Before 2008, comments under articles were mainly tribal based
comments. The writers who were leading by then included the Late
Isaiah Abraham who hated tribalism, Dr. Justin Ambago, and the then
PhD candidate James Okuk Solomon. These writers were supporters of
different ideologies or politicians. Dr. Justin Ambago was a supporter
of the separation of South Sudan from North Sudan, Dr. Okuk was the
supporter of the SPLM when Dr. Lam Akol was still the Minister of
Foreign Affairs on SPLM ticket, and Isaiah Abraham was a supporter of
Vice President Dr. Riek Machar. Those who used to comment under the
articles of the above mentioned writers were supporters of their
respective tribes.

I came on to the writing stage and became the advocate for
objectivity. In my writing, I started criticizing politicians who were
not performing well and giving credits to leaders who were performing
well. I also started the writing in which a writer criticizes a policy
but provides suggestions for potential solutions.

In 2009, the tribal based politics increased and Dr. Okuk changed from
supporting the SPLM to supporting Dr. Lam Akol when Lam got into
problem with the SPLM party.

I decided to go against Dr. Okuk and Isaiah Abraham because of what I
regarded as their lack of objective writing. I disagreed with Isaiah
for singling Dr. Machar out of Presidency and praising him as the
best. I argued that nothing showed that Machar was better than Kiir. I
used the same argument against Okuk’s claims about Dr. Lam.

Isaiah Abraham agreed with me towards the end of 2010 and started
criticizing President Kiir and Dr. Machar together. He became even
more objective than me towards the end of his life in 2012.

Dr. Machar immediately responded by taking up the responsibilities
that became his crime this year when he was seen as taking powers not
belonging to him. He started filling the gap where President Kiir was
silent. He started even to respond to invitations from any group of
civil society. For example, we as the Red Army organized our first
celebration in July, 2011 after the independence of South Sudan and
invited President Kiir. He never responded. Dr. Machar was to close
training of another civil society group. When the President could not
show up as the guest of honor for the major Red Army group, we
hijacked Dr. Machar and he accepted, letting Hon. Gier Chuang replace
him for the original group which was smaller than the Red Army group.

Issues like the above started changing some people’s views about the
President and his commitment to people he is leading. If he could
ignore the Red Army which its history is tied to the SPLM, which group
could he respond to?

Not only this, whenever there was a heavy loss of citizens’ lives
President Kiir would not issue any public statement and Dr. Machar
would jump into the issue by both issuing the statement and visiting
the scene of the killing. He would gather different civil society
groups and urging them to play their part. He would preside over any
important strategic plan for the improvement of service delivery. He
even apologized to Bor community for what happened in 1991.

Dr. Machar was doing all these because we in the media had been
criticizing him of being incompetent together with the President. Dr.
Machar’s changes showed some of us that he could respond to people’s
concerns.

Unfortunately, the President and his advisors took things for granted.
They took people’s loyalty to SPLM as a party as loyalty to the
President as a person. They also thought silence of the President on
many issues was a good thing.

Flattery praises for the President became the main focus to the point
the public was often forced to go and line up by the road whenever the
President was returning from abroad. Focus on service delivery became
secondary to personal glorification.

Those of us who were diehard supporters of the President became
disappointed when the competency gap between the President and his
Vice President became clear. A person like me who understood clearly
that Dr. Machar became better because of public criticism started
criticizing the system and the President in an attempt to let him
revise his administrative focus. Nothing changed.

Isaiah Abraham at this point had moved from supporting Dr. Machar to
criticizing the system, especially the diplomatic weaknesses of the
country. My writing became rare because of my busy schedules at my
work place. But whenever I wrote something, I found myself being
critical of the system because I felt guilty to pretend that things
were going well when I knew they were not.

Other writers like Ateny Wek Ateny and Dr. Luka Biong had come on
board. Nhial Bol who had been writing for awhile never gave up his
one-sided criticism of the system in his newspaper. The situation
became tense, especially when corruption scandals surfaced.

Those who were closer to President Kiir started intimidating critics
of the government. They went as far as trying to silent churches from
preaching against vices in the government. I was not impressed by this
approach. My criticism for the government stepped up. The killing of
Isaiah Abraham made things worst. Those who were blind supporters of
the President kept on diverting messages from what they meant to what
they thought they should mean. They thought media could be silenced.

See what happened since the killing of Isaiah Abraham. Many hardliners
who had ceased writing because they hoped our writing was going to
correct the government have now resumed writing. Right now, South
Sudanese have gone back to the way they used to comment between 2006
and 2009. Their comments are now tribally based and they do not give
any credit to any government official. They have started using violent
language. What is the cause of all this? It is the lack of
understanding of what it means to lead.

In my writing, I believe I had been giving credit where it due, even
though I was falsely accused of tribalism. I have now decided to break
my silence to try again to bring back objectivity to writing, though
it could be difficult this time.

Zechariah Manyok Biar can be reached at [email protected]

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"South Sudan Info - The Kob" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply via email to