Politico Op-ed: Amid Congo's horror, courage and hope



Posted by Enough Team on Apr 26, 2013








This op-ed originally appeared on Politico.

I learned about the conflict in Congo because Javier Bardem was under
the weather. Javier was supposed to join John Prendergast, co-founder
of the Enough Project, at a screening of "The Greatest Silence," a
film showcasing the use of rape as a weapon of war by militias in
Congo, but he was too sick to attend. I was the last-minute
replacement.

While the film was playing, John and I sat outside on the sidewalk and
he told me what was going on in the eastern Democratic Republic of
Congo. It is the deadliest conflict in the world since World War II.
It has been described as the worst place in the world to be a woman.
And there are links between people in the U.S. and what helps to fund
this war.

As the film was wrapping up, John asked me to come on stage with him
and summarize what I had just learned. There was no acting on that
stage. I was strongly reacting to what I had just heard and knew that
I would not let it go.

In 2011, I traveled to eastern Congo to better understand the root
causes of the conflict. My knowledge of the war was through facts and
terrible statistics — like 5.4 million deaths in under two decades —
but I had yet to meet those who had been living through it.

I spent two weeks traveling throughout eastern Congo with members of
the Enough Project's Raise Hope for Congo Campaign. On my son's 18th
birthday, we visited a child soldier rehabilitation center. I sat and
talked with boys who were the same age as my son, yet they could not
be in a more different situation. There were approximately 100 boys
there, ranging from 5 to 18, who had been recently rescued from armed
groups in the area.

We also met with women who were survivors of sexual violence. In
Congo, women and girls face the threat of attack from armed militias,
the military and even the local police. Militias use rape as a weapon
of war by targeting women, the backbone of Congolese communities and
society.

There was no way I could have prepared myself for the stories I heard,
yet I was the only one crying. The women I met were full of courage,
hope and a vision for a better Congo.

The women, and other Congolese I met, asked for more engagement from
the U.S. government and the international community. There is no
shortage of amazing people, courage and vision in Congo, but there is
a lack of international political pressure being leveraged for change
there. I returned to Washington with the stories of the Congolese
people I met, ready to advocate on their behalf.

D.C. is similar to Hollywood in some ways. You meet with people in the
hopes of getting to others, hoping that closer and closer to the
centers of power, certain doors will open.

Since I got back from eastern Congo, I have pushed to open the doors
to the policymakers who will make a difference there. I have met with
top aides at the White House, State Department and on Capitol Hill,
and earlier this year, I hand-delivered a petition to the White House,
written by women in eastern Congo. There have been some great
successes as the result of the activist movement for peace in eastern
Congo that I am a part of, but much more needs to be done.

Joining with Congolese women to advocate for peace is how, for me, the
term "use your celebrity" first held meaning.

Celebrities have the ability to raise awareness for a cause, secure an
important meeting and elevate the voices of the voiceless. We get to
skip to the front of the line. One thing I can do is serve as a
megaphone to amplify the voices of Congolese women, repeating the
horrors many endure in Congo, and call for more action.

Progress has been significant and successes are blossoming in eastern
Congo. Now more than ever, the U.S. government has the opportunity to
ensure lasting peace. A U.N.-mediated peace process is needed, and
President Barack Obama and Secretary of State John Kerry can increase
the U.S. government's diplomatic engagement to make sure all Congolese
voices, like those of the women and young boys I met, are heard.

The bigger the movement calling for U.S. government involvement and
increased transparency in Congo's minerals sector, the better chance
the Congolese people have for peace. To learn more, check out
RaiseHopeforCongo.org.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"South Sudan Info - The Kob" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply via email to