South Sudan FVP, Taban Deng Meets South African Deputy President Ramaphosa
The First Vice President of South Sudan, Taban Deng Gai on Tuesday held a
meeting with the South African Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa in Tuynhuys
Cape Town to brief him on the situation in South Sudan.
[image: South Sudan FVP, Taban Deng Meets South African Deputy President
Ramaphosa]
South Sudan First Vice President, Taban Deng Gai [File photo]

By Jok P Mayom

* JUBA, 14 September 2016 [Gurtong]-*Speaking after their meeting,
Ramaphosa said, “We invited the Vice President Taban Deng and his
delegation to come, so that we can be briefed about what has been happening
in South Sudan. He (Taban) has given us a detailed briefing about the
developments in South Sudan.” said Ramaphosa.

“We congratulated First Vice-President Taban Deng for his appointment as
First Vice-President replacing Dr Riek Machar who has now fled South
Sudan.  We took note of his briefing in relation to how they are doing
everything they can, to consolidate the peace in South Sudan” said
Ramaphosa.

Ramaphosa confirmed that South Sudan is now calm and that the government is
working towards development of the country.

“We’ve had really good discussions and we are now confident that peace will
finally be entrenched in South Sudan and they will now be moving to the
development plane and were very pleased to hear about their determination
to ensure that peace does reign in South Sudan.”

He also said that a taskforce will be set up between the offices of the
first vice president of South Sudan and his office to work on matters of
mutual interest which will be decided on at both government levels.

Meanwhile, Taban Deng told the press that South Sudan is relying on South
Africa to cement the peace deal in South Sudan.

Taban said, “We came here to ask for solidarity. As an elder brother, South
Africa of course is one of the giants of Africa. We are relying on South
African people to participate in cementing peace and developing the nation,
moving forward”.

“Yes we are very serious in implementing peace there is no going back to
any crisis or war.  But people don’t eat peace in the first place, what
they eat is the dividends that follow peace. Those dividends are roads,
schools and health services” Taban said.

Posted in: Home
<http://www.gurtong.net/ECM/Editorial/tabid/124/ctl/CategoryView/mid/519/categoryId/1/Home.aspx>
- See more at:
http://gurtong.net/ECM/Editorial/tabid/124/ID/19863/Default.aspx#sthash.HmP3OECq.dpuf