South Sudan president says "imposed" peace never lasts

    Article
    Comments (2)

email Email
print Print
pdfSave
separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

September 13, 2017 (JUBA) - South Sudan President Salva Kiir believes
that an imposed peace will never last, said the newly appointed
Islamic affairs aide, pointing to the challenges the transitional
government and the various stakeholders are currently experiencing in
the implementation of the 2015 peace agreement.

JPEG - 11.2 kb
South Sudan’s president Salva Kiir, seen in Addis Ababa on January 29,
2015 (Photo AFP Zacharias Abubeker)

The president made the remarks during the swearing-in ceremony of the
country’s presidential adviser on Islamic affairs, Sheikh Juma Ali who
was recently appointed a presidential adviser for the Islamic Affairs
after the death of Al-Tahir Bior Lueth Ajak last February.

“The president of the republic is fully committed to end the war,
bring peace and move the country forward. As the faith based groups
and as citizens of this country, we will work together with his
excellency the president of the republic and other stakeholders to
ensure we move in the direction that explores ways which are
appropriate and peculiar to our situation,” Ali told Sudan Tribune.

The presidential aide admitted South Sudan’s major priority was to end
the war in order to bring peace in the country rather than pursuing
punitive measures above peace, based on the perception that peace
without justice does not address root causes of the ongoing conflict.

“These kinds of arguments undermine (the ongoing) efforts and the
desire to bring peace. The president was very clear on this and his
approach is to end war first and by ending the war, it means the
process should be imposed,” further stressed the aide.

He further added, “If you impose peace, it will not last because the
parties for which the agreement was imposed will never cooperate”.

South Sudan descended into violence in December 2013 when political
disagreements within its ruling party triggered an outbreak of a
current civil war. The conflict has displaced millions of people.

Last week, the South Sudanese leader said he was more concerned about
the situation in the war-torn nation, but equally voiced his rejection
of any peace deal imposed from outside the country.

“There are people who come with conditions instead of coming to listen
to us, to what we have done and how we intend to overcome challenges
and way forward,” he told religious leaders in the capital, Juba.

The South Sudanese president said he was personally committed to
ending the war in the country, stressing that one side alone would not
stop the situation if there is no reciprocation of the same.

“I know that in order for any agreement to endure, peace cannot be
imposed from the outside. It must be negotiated directly by the
leaders who are required to make the hard choices and compromises that
take on history," further stressed Kiir.

"We are determined to stop this war, even without being threatened
because these are our people and the country is ours," he added.

The head of the United States aid arm (USAID), Mark Green had earlier
Kiir to stop the war and allow unfettered humanitarian access.

But Kiir appeared unmoved by Green’s remarks, despite being told the
US plans a complete review of its policies towards South Sudan.

"We came out from a similar situation before and so I have a
confidence we will also come out of this situation,” said Kiir.

One of the countries that recognized South Sudan’s independence in
2011, the US played a key role in helping create the 2005
Comprehensive Peace Agreement (CPA) that laid the groundwork for the
2011 referendum, through which South Sudanese overwhelmingly voted for
independence.

Currently, the US government remains the leading international donor
to South Sudan and provides significant humanitarian assistance to the
hundreds of thousands of South Sudanese citizens displaced or
otherwise affected since the start of the country’s crisis in December
2013.

(ST)
Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following
rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their
Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on
the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to
express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your
comment as an article to comm...@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

    14 September 06:24, by Naath

    The Dinka gangs’ leader salva Kiir and his double blind supporter
are telling lies every minutes, every hour and everyday. Your tribal
chief "Kiir" is not for peace and has never been for peace, so please
stop lying to the world. Infact, the world knows Kiir for being war
criminals, money launderer, and a serial killer.

    repondre message
        14 September 06:31, by Newsudan

        Kiir Mayardit should call for peace negotiations with various
militias groups,to restored stability to the Country:
Olony,Gadet,Gatwech dual,Bakassoro,Cirillo, Lam,among others, these
are ones causing havoc and instability

---
"South Sudan Info - The Kob" group.
to southsudankob+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.