You can use any Quake 3 bsp file (I have made some with gtkradiant). Make sure you use SVN version of soya.
First you have to make sure all the texture needed by your bsp are aviable to soya.
Although you have to specify a player start location when you create a level in gtkradiant, soya does not use it. Make sure to set a proper location manualy (look  at line 295 in the bsp-game-skelt). If this location is outside the level you will just get a black screen with an error message "camera in invalid leaf".

Finally remember that the BSPWorld is a work in progress (and it don't progress very fast since I don't have much time to work on it), some feature are not supported (and some will never be). No lightmaps and lightvolumes, no doors, no moovers and no animated textures. Areas works but have to be activated in your code.

That's all.
Souvarine.