Oh, and upon re-reading I realized: You can't skip spacewalk-java-lib. That's the rpm that contains all the really important stuff. What client are you breaking by installing it?

Another thing to consider is that if you installed the Spacewalk 2.0 rpms you probably want to be making your changes on top of the SPACEWALK-2.0 branch, not master. The code in master may have been updated to rely on changes made in other packages, for example the database schema, and may break if installed on a 2.0 system. Once you have your changes working on the SPACEWALK-2.0 branch it would probably be a clean merge over to master.

-Stephen