On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 1:23 PM, Stephen Herr <sh...@redhat.com> wrote:
> Oh, and upon re-reading I realized: You can't skip spacewalk-java-lib.
> That's the rpm that contains all the really important stuff. What client are
> you breaking by installing it?
>
> Another thing to consider is that if you installed the Spacewalk 2.0 rpms
> you probably want to be making your changes on top of the SPACEWALK-2.0
> branch, not master. The code in master may have been updated to rely on
> changes made in other packages, for example the database schema, and may
> break if installed on a 2.0 system. Once you have your changes working on
> the SPACEWALK-2.0 branch it would probably be a clean merge over to master.
>
> -Stephen

Thanks for noticing that! I'll pull the 2.0 branch and start working
from there, using the same stop - change - commit - tito - rpm - start
process.

> On 11/11/2013 02:10 PM, Stephen Herr wrote:
>>
>> Hi Austin,
>>
>> Assuming that you really are sucessfully building and installing the rpm,
>> the only thing that occures to me is that you should restart the tomcat
>> service (probably 'tomcat6' or 'tomcat' depending on your setup). This
>> forces it to reload cached content.
>>
>> In general that's a fine approach to take. /var/log/httpd/error_log and
>> /var/log/<tomcat>/catalina.out are some error logs it might be very useful
>> for you to watch when you're testing your changes. In the former you'll
>> generally see exceptions generated in the python and perl layers, in the
>> latter you'll see exceptions generated in the java layer.
>>
>> -Stephen Herr

I have been using /usr/sbin/spacewalk-service stop / start before
making any changes. Thanks for the logs, I'm not getting errors in
either; however, I think I discovered the reason for that. rpm -qa |
grep spacewalk shows that both spacewalk-java-2.0.5-1.el6.noarch *and*
-2.1.54-1.git.0.5c89a47.el6.noarch are installed, so the java is
probably running out of the 2.0. Thus, my changes aren't doing
anything (but I'm also not buggering up the system by trying to
install 2.1 on top of it!). Going to remove the 2.1 package, pull the
2.0 down, and give it a shot. Thanks for your help! Updates in a bit
as soon as I try it.