> Well for the record, just adding "-u root" into the line in the scanner
> script that calls spamc fixed the problem.  Qmailq couldn't bind to ports.
> It's odd because it should bind to the port while still running as root
and
> only change to qmailq after that point (at least that's how the code looks
> to me) but as long as it's working I'm happy.
>
> Thanks for the help and suggestions.

qmailq doesnt need to bind a port.  the port is binded when run spamd, not
spamc.  spamc is just the client that makes a socket to the open port spamd
runs on.

i launch spamd as root with
root@localhost#  spamd -d

then, i call spamc with the -f flag only from qmail-scanner which everyone
knows runs as qmailq.  you do not need to add a -u root to spamc to make
this work...

> -u username: specify the username for spamd to process this message under
this basically tells spamd which user is calling it, that way spamd know
which .spamassassin files to process.  now if you look at your logs, it'll
look like every message was processed for root if you do it that way.

Dallas