On 14 Feb 2002, Craig Hughes wrote:
> I'll investigate -- it's weird, because both GAs seem to assign low
> scores to "HUNZA_DIET_BREAD" even though it obviously only appears in
> the spam corpus, and not in non-spam.

Sure, but how much of the spam corpus do they show up in?

> In fact my GA which allows -ve scores give it a -ve score! Now having
> said that, all the HUNZA_DIET_BREAD messages in the corpus end up
> being identified as spam anyway because of the other rules they
> trigger, but it's still very strange behavior by the GA.

To me, it sounds very much like the HUNZA_DIET_BREAD rule isn't really
very useful for identifying spam, overall, because spam that contains it
is already marked by many other, more general, characteristics.

So, the score for that fluctuates semi-randomly over time but, because
it's never selected for by the GA, it drifts gently toward irrelevance.

At least, that's my assumption based on what knowledge I have of GA
evolution...

        Daniel

--
We are always getting ready to live, but never living.
        -- Ralph Waldo Emerson, _Journals_, 1834