Just realized that you did not try:

whitelist_from  root

Give it a try.  If that doesn't work try this modification to the custom
rule:
header CHARLIE_ROOT     From =~ /root/i
describe CHARLIE_ROOT   From is Charlie Root
score  CHARLIE_ROOT     -100.0

OR another:

header CHARLIE_ROOT     Subject =~ /weekly run output/i
describe CHARLIE_ROOT   From is Charlie Root
score  CHARLIE_ROOT     -100.0

BTW, after modifying local.cf you need to restart spamd daemon.