Here's my problem.  We use an external ISP to handle our mail, and of course
we are getting pummeled with spam so fast that the mailbox can fill up
within hours.  We use a different ISP to handle the web-site and can set up
programs on that.

What I want to do, unless it has already been done, is to construct a Perl
script that can then be run periodically as a cron-job.  What this script
would do is to interrogate each of the mailboxes we use, determine what's
spam among them, and delete those messages so that only they come down the
line when we download mail.

It also occurs to me that the script might be able to compare the message
texts to determine when duplicate or near-duplicate messages occur, either
in a single message or among several mailboxes.  (e.g. extract a snippet of
text from each message and compare the samples to find those that are a
strong match to similar snippets in other messages).  This is my so-called
"honeypot" idea.  We actually set up a fake-to-us e-mail address that no one
ever uses for correspondence, and it's now littered with copies of the spam.
Once again, I'd like to know if anyone out there has already done that.

Your script is very valuable to us all.

Please [also] reply direct to this e-mail since I presently do not subscribe
to this list.

-Mike Robinson
 Technical Director

 Sundial Services International Inc.