Gentlebeings... you are all on high-speed links and you're thinking "set up
your own POP server..."  As though that were no problem.

And no, it's not that I don't know just how to do just that.  But my
particular circumstances preclude that approach.  In effect I need to (doing
the entire job non-root from an ordinary user account) periodically query
the mail on a server ... run it through filtering but also cross-comparison
... and delete the mail I don't want to log on [think TELEPHONE DIALUP,
think POOR LINES] and laboriously retrieve.

And I really -do- need to do it _that _way.