At 08:51 AM 4/22/2002 -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:
>On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
>
> > in any case, if one is going to be successful in fighting spam, one needs
> > to look at solutions other than filtering, blacklisting network
> connections
> > and ports, and legislation especially if one wants to preserve end to end
> > connectivity and the ability for any node on Internet to participate
> > fully.  My experimentation with camram is an attempt to provide another
> > part of the solution.
>
>The trouble is that any solution that places a burden on the sender is
>lousy social engineering.

unfortunately, you just defined life.  Everything we do that involves
learning or adapting ourselves puts a burden on the human.  Learning to use
e-mail in the first place places a burden on the sender.  Telling a story,
writing a letter, buying a stamp, sending a telegram, dialing a telephone
all put burdens on the sender.  Therefore, you just described most human
communications as lousy social engineering.  You may not see it as such but
all human communication is a learned process.  None of it is innate.  Of
all of them, dealing with Internet and software vagaries are probably the
least innate.  You've just accumulated enough scar tissue from using bad UI
software so that you cannot recognize the pain anymore.

>As a user of email for personal correspondence, I exchange a lot of email
>with people who have zero technical ability.  They'd be upset, and in some
>cases offended, that I think I can require them to install extra software
>just to communicate with me.  As a business owner, I *want* to get email
>from potential customers I've never heard from before.  Anything that
>makes it harder for them to send me email is detrimental to my business.
>Unless/until the sender's end of the system is universally deployed, I
>can't afford to use it as a filter.

These are valid points.   However, weren't these people with zero technical
ability offended and upset that you required them to use e-mail software to
communicate with you when paper and pencil was more familiar and already
has a very fast and effective delivery mechanism?   As a business owner,
don't you have a mailbox  or a telephone so that people you've never heard
from  can communicate with you?  After all, why should you expect them to
do anything new when they have something that already works.

Granted, these counter-examples are probably irritating but I am trying to
show how your points are objections without foundation if you look at the
larger world.  They also show me that you haven't  understood  the system
or I haven't explained properly.

There's nothing in the camram system to stop a  legitimate e-mail user from
getting e-mail to you even without sending a coin.   There are a variety of
mechanisms in place to drop the burden  after the initial
communications.      I'm also surprised to hear you say you can't
afford  anything that make it harder for people to send e-mail.  With the
level of false positives one gets with any filtering system (not just pick
on spamassassin),  I'm surprised you would use any form of spam
protection.    In any case,  it may be that you really can't afford to use
camram as a filter but I'll ask you to withhold judgment until I've got the
first prototype done and then I would appreciate your feedback on its
operation.

>Unfortunately, as a sender, I have more disincentives to deploying the
>system than incentives.  It's one more bit of software to install and keep
>updated, it makes my computer work harder and my email go out slower, it
>doesn't reduce the amount of spam I get, and it doesn't significantly
>increase the number of people to whom I can successfully send mail.  Why
>should I bother?

  good points.  First,  obviously, I believe it will reduce the amount of
spam you get  which is the first why you should bother.  The second why you
should bother is that camram also provides 0 UI opportunistic encryption
for e-mail which enhances in transit privacy.  The system has some flaws
but that's OK.  It  would be a small step towards improving e-mail  privacy.

Obviously, I will know more as I eat my own dog food and live with the
filters in place.  When it gets good enough, I'll even turn
off  spamassassin and see how it holds up to the onslaught.  Yes it does
make your computer work harder, and yes it will make your e-mail go out
slower but  remember that the slowdown only happens in the early phases of
communicating with someone.  Also, the  perception of the slowdown can be
managed.  The slowdown is comparable to DNS lookup times and the response
times of many mail servers *from the users perspective*.  If we push the
process into background, then the user doesn't need to sit and wait but can
continue on with other tasks.

The goal is to eventually get vendors to include this technology into the
e-mail clients.    The only way it will happen is through demonstration of
effectiveness and demand driven by ISPs and other customers.  I already
have one medium sized ISP interested and others are sniffing around.

>Historical precedent is that no extension to the email infrastructure can
>really succeed until it's included by the major user-agent manufacturers
>as a default part of the popular clients.  End users simply won't go to
>the effort to install add-ons.  Network Associates is dropping PGP because
>they've found that out the hard way.  What is the incentive for Microsoft
>or AOL to incorporate something like this into their clients?

  true.  End users don't go to the effort to install add-ons such as flash,
RealAudio, Acrobat, etc..  PGP died because it's user interface
sucked.  Heck, I have PGP sitting in my taskbar and I don't use it as I
have to keep typing the #$&*$)(*&  pass phrase every time.  Then there's
the royal pain in the ass of importing keys and signing keys and all those
things that are really easy to screw up because user interfaces so bad.  If
you had a way of just sending e-mail to someone without doing anything to
turn on encryption, it would have succeeded far better.  Unfortunately the
"crypto security at the cost of everything else" folks would have totally
panned such an interface even though it would have been a good incremental
improvement.

>Consider the free email services (hotmail, yahoo, etc.), or even AOL's
>web-based mail interface.  How many users do they have to support?  How
>many non-spam messages a day do their servers generate?  I'll bet the
>total dwarfs the biggest spammers by many orders of magnitude -- and think
>about the number of messages they must *receive*, even discounting spam.
>How much computing power will *they* have to deploy to make this kind of
>system work?  What makes you think it would ever happen?

  let me say it again.  The coin generation happens client side.  All of
the encryption public key activity happens client side.  This means they
would not have to deploy any computing power.  They would need to run a
Java program client side to do the calculations and pass the information
back to the server.  Yes, it's work.   Doing anything to defeat spam is
work.  Get over it.

>The fact is that the only people who do have an incentive to support the
>sending end of such a system are those who will profit from having their
>email get through no matter what.  Guess who that is.

  spammers are inherently lazy.  I've done enough of the math to show that
it will slow them down significantly, which means this reduces their
revenue.  Reduction in revenue means it's less profitable which will drive
out some spammers.  Yes,  the financial aspects won't take effect until you
get a significant number of people with the camram style filters.  In the
meantime, small-scale users of the camram system should see a significant
drop in spam with minimal false positives.

   I suggest if you want to debate this further, that we take it off list
because it is significantly of the topic for spamassassin and I feel that I
have already impose enough on the other members of the list.

---eric