In my experience that varies a lot from company to company. Your best bet
is to contact the vendor in question and ask them.

for example this is some the results of some investigations I made into
that question a few months ago:

one vendor has a "small business" license which seems to cover this kind of
usage without any user limits.

another had a number-of-sendmail-accounts based license. (ie: up to 100
users type deal)

a third vendor, who we have a site-license for our desktops with, said that
since we had a site license the sendmail server could be treated as an
extra client license.

So they pretty much run the gamut as far as what kind of licensing they want.