Hi,

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 18:01:26 EDT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> try to run spamd, got following error:
>
> Can't locate syslog.ph in @INC (did you run h2ph?) (@INC contains: ../lib /us
r/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris /usr/perl5/5.00503 /usr/perl5/site_perl/5.005/sun4
-solaris /usr/perl5/site_perl/5.005 .) at /usr/perl5/5.00503/Sys/Syslog.pm line
 117.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at spamd line 18.
>
> I am not a perl man, can any one tell me what the problem is? Thanks in advance.

Uck. That looks like Sun's default (borked) perl installation. More on that
later.

The problem is that your perl doesn't have the current set of
.ph Perl header files to match your system's .h C header files. This is easy
to fix with h2ph (note the reference in the error message.)

As root, do:

  cd /usr/include; h2ph -r -l .

To verify that it's worked correctly, use:

  perl -MSys::Syslog -e 'print qq{ok\n};'

Since it appears you're using Sun's default perl installation, you've got
some unfortunate surprises in store for you. First off, perl 5.005_03
is creaky; you're much better off with 5.6.1. But if you're committed
to making that version work (for example because local configuration
management policy shackles you to Sun's default boat anchor), you can make
life easy on yourself by fixing /usr/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris/Config.pm
before trying to install any third-party (CPAN) modules.

Specifically, you need to backup Config.pm then edit it to point at a proper
(existant) compiler. If you paid for the Sun compiler, you're probably
done. Maybe. If you're using gcc, you need change:

cc='cc'
cccdlflags='-Kpic'
cpprun='cc -E'
cppstdin='cc -E'
gcc=''
gccversion=''
ld='cc'

cc='gcc'
cccdlflags='-fPIC'
cpprun='gcc -E'
cppstdin='gcc -E'
gcc='/usr/local/bin/gcc'
gccversion='2.7.2.3'
ld='gcc'

or whatever's appropriate in your environment. Later
you may want to set up CPAN; beware, the CPAN version in
that version of perl is probably 1.48 or earlier and will
attempt to upgrade core perl if left to its own devices. See
http://lists.fsck.com/pipermail/rt-users/2002-February/007027.html

Setting up a local CPAN mirror, a local perl module repository, and using CPAN
over NFS (zippy!) is left as an exercise for the student.

hth,

--
Bob Apthorpe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>