Jack Gostl wrote:
No... it doesn't take much at all. The "employee" as the president of the
company. He made a bunch of sales on eBay, purchased a handful of things
from online outfits, and POW! He was getting upwards of 200 per day. I can
understand it happening to me, I post in various newsgroups and lists, but
not this guy.

I have a little trick I use for this kind of situation. When I need to give an
email address to someplace where I think the list might get sold or the address might otherwise attract spammers the username I give is based on the name of the
company I'm giving it to. The mail is still directed to my main account so I
get the email just fine as long as I want to, but as soon as I see it
misused I can shut it off in a matter of minutes (I use sendmails virtusertable) and I even have an idea who it was who sold my address. I can even turn it back on temporarily if I need to deal with that company some more later.

Of course I get spam anyway, but not the bucketloads you're talking about.
I'm also a very happy user of SpamAssassin!

Steve